If you’re planning to sell your house, decluttering is a crucial step in the process. A cluttered house can make it difficult for potential buyers to visualize themselves living in the space, and it can also make the house appear smaller and less appealing. In this article, we’ll explore the best ways to declutter your house before putting it on the market.
Why Decluttering is Important When Selling a House
Before we get into the specifics of how to declutter your house, let’s first discuss why it’s so important when you’re selling. There are several reasons why decluttering is crucial when you’re trying to sell your house:
- Makes the house appear more spacious
- Helps potential buyers visualize themselves living in the space
- Makes the house appear cleaner and more inviting
- Helps you pack and organize your belongings before moving
Steps to Declutter Your House
Decluttering can be overwhelming, but by breaking it down into manageable steps, you can make the process much easier. Here are the steps to follow when decluttering your house:
Step 1: Start with a Plan
Before you start decluttering, create a plan of attack. Determine which areas of your house need the most attention and create a timeline for when you want to have everything done. Having a plan can help keep you on track and prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.
Step 2: Get Rid of the Obvious Clutter
The next step is to get rid of the obvious clutter in your house. This includes items that are broken, unused, or that you simply don’t need anymore. Go through each room and create three piles: keep, donate/sell, and throw away.
Step 3: Declutter Your Furniture
Furniture can take up a lot of space in a room, so it’s essential to declutter it as well. Consider removing any furniture that is too large for the space or that you don’t use regularly. You may also want to consider renting a storage unit to temporarily store furniture that you want to keep but that doesn’t fit in your house.
Step 4: Tackle the Closets
Closets are often a source of clutter, so it’s crucial to declutter them as well. Go through your clothes and get rid of anything that you haven’t worn in a year or that doesn’t fit properly. You may also want to consider organizing your closet to make it more appealing to potential buyers.
Step 5: Clear off Surfaces
Clearing off surfaces is an easy way to make your house appear cleaner and more inviting. Remove any knick-knacks or other items from surfaces like countertops, tables, and bookshelves. You may also want to consider removing some of your family photos to make it easier for potential buyers to visualize themselves living in the space.
Step 6: Rent a Storage Unit
If you have a lot of belongings that you don’t want to get rid of but that you don’t have space for in your house, consider renting a storage unit. This can be a great way to temporarily store items while you’re selling your house.
Step 7: Clean and Organize
Once you’ve decluttered your house, it’s essential to clean and organize it. This includes deep-cleaning each room, organizing your belongings, and making any necessary repairs. A clean and organized house is much more appealing to potential buyers than one that is dirty and cluttered.
Decluttering is a crucial step in the process of selling a house. By following these steps, you can make the process much easier and ensure that your house looks its best when potential buyers come to see it. Remember to create a plan, get rid of obvious clutter, declutter your furniture, tackle the closets, clear off surfaces, rent a storage unit, and clean and organize. By taking these steps, you can make your house more appealing to potential buyers and increase your chances of selling it quickly and for a higher price.
- How long does it take to declutter a house before selling?
- The amount of time it takes to declutter a house before selling depends on the size of the house and the amount of clutter. However, it’s best to create a plan and give yourself plenty of time to get everything done.
- Can I declutter my house on my own, or should I hire a professional?
- It’s possible to declutter your house on your own, but if you’re feeling overwhelmed or don’t have the time, you may want to consider hiring a professional organizer.
- What should I do with the items that I don’t want to keep?
- You can donate, sell, or throw away items that you don’t want to keep. Consider donating items to a local charity or selling them online.
- Should I rent a storage unit?
- If you have a lot of items that you don’t have space for in your house, renting a storage unit can be a great way to temporarily store them while you’re selling your house.
- Can decluttering really make a difference when selling a house?
- Yes, decluttering can make a big difference when selling a house. A cluttered house can make it difficult for potential buyers to visualize themselves living in the space, and it can also make the house appear smaller and less appealing.